WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I followed the directions from Tumblr on creating a CNAME entry at my domain registrar to point the subdomain blog.domainname.com to domains.tumblr.com as this article suggests link:Using a custom domain name

However, I just get the "Page cannot be found" message when attempting to visit it.

Do I need to configure anything on the Webfaction side? I had tried adding the domain name within Webfaction, but then I just get the default Webfaction placeholder page.

Thanks for any ideas.

asked 04 Jun '12, 12:01

shanecleveland
accept rate: 100%

Thank you! I was doing it wrong. I first needed to add blog.domainname.com as a domain in the Webfaction control panel and then add the required CNAME in the DNS Overrides tool of the control panel for that subdomain.

permanent link

answered 04 Jun '12, 16:59

shanecleveland
accept rate: 100%

If WebFaction manages the DNS for your domain, then you need to create the CNAME via our control panel instead of via your registrar.

If you've checked that and are still having trouble, then feel free to open a support ticket to let us know the actual domain and subdomains you're using, and we'll be happy to look into it further.

permanent link

answered 04 Jun '12, 15:06

seanf
12.2k42136
accept rate: 37%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×76
×19
×1

question asked: 04 Jun '12, 12:01

question was seen: 5,454 times

last updated: 04 Jun '12, 16:59

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM