Hi there,

Has anyone run ipython using the notebook web interface as a web service in webfaction allowing users to login and use ipython notebook as a python environment for plotting and performing analysis on a data set that is also resident on webfaction?

I believe notebook relies on (py)zeromq and tornado, which both can be installed, and I have seen references to ipython itself being installed, but nothing re notebook.

One potential issue, based on my understanding of notebook, is that each notebook client needs a separate port on the tornado box (webfaction in this case). Is this a correct or incorrect understanding? If it is correct, would this mean it could not be used in webfaction shared server plans? What options would exist then?

Any insight, experience, clarification, would be appreciated. ;)

Thank you.

Sol

asked 05 Jun '12, 07:28

isolver's gravatar image

isolver
accept rate: 0%

Hi,

According to Notebook's documentation, it can be run as a public server on a custom port. I'm not sure if it would work properly if the Webfaction frontend Nginx server forwards to that custom port, but you can try that. If that doesn't work, you can open a ticket, so we can open a custom port for you to access the public Notebook server on.

link

answered 05 Jun '12, 10:48

todork's gravatar image

todork
1.1k4
accept rate: 34%

Thanks for the input and the pointer to the docs I should have read. ;(

I have configured things using a custom port application that ipython is listening on (using the port # webfaction has provided ) and have enabled SSL for the domain and site. Following the ipython instructions referenced above, I created a self signed cert and a password. Now when I go to https://ipython.mydomain.org it seems to make it through to the ipython notebook as the following exception is created by zmq / ssl (I think):

SSLError: [Errno 336265218] _ssl.c:351: error:140B0002:SSL routines:SSL_CTX_use_PrivateKey_file:system lib ERROR:root:Exception in I/O handler for fd 6 Traceback (most recent call last): File "/home/isolver/lib/python2.7/zmq/eventloop/ioloop.py", line 330, in start self._handlersfd File "/home/isolver/lib/python2.7/tornado-2.3-py2.7.egg/tornado/netutil.py", line 324, in accept_handler callback(connection, address) File "/home/isolver/lib/python2.7/tornado-2.3-py2.7.egg/tornado/netutil.py", line 202, in _handle_connection **self.ssl_options) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/ssl.py", line 381, in wrap_socket ciphers=ciphers) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/ssl.py", line 141, in init ciphers) SSLError: [Errno 336265218] _ssl.c:351: error:140B0002:SSL routines:SSL_CTX_use_PrivateKey_file:system lib

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance.

Sol

(06 Jun '12, 04:41) isolver isolver's gravatar image

Hi,

Could you open a ticket about this, and let us know how to reproduce the problem, so we can investigate further?

(06 Jun '12, 04:55) todork todork's gravatar image

So after tuns of excellent support from the webfaction team, it turns out that the ipython notebook seems to create 'three' localhost tcpip connections on random ports for each notebook you create; and there does not appear to be any way around this.

If anyhow knows how, please share the joy, otherwise, no ipython notebook on webfaction shared servers, or likely any provider for that matter unless you have the ability to use random port when you like; which does not make too much sense.

Oh well; thanks so much for trying to work it out with me WF Support! It was fun trying. ;)

link

answered 13 Jun '12, 04:29

isolver's gravatar image

isolver

Anybody know if the status on this has changed? Is there a way to run an iPython notebook? The issue I get is when I try to create a new notebook I get a message like

Websocket connection to ws://<my_notebook_site_url>/kernels/e6b6080f-7f84-48fc-a633-a3760dc49db6 could not be established. You will NOT be able to run code. Your browser may not be compatible with the websocket version in the server, or if the url does not look right, there could be an error in the server's configuration.

Tried IE10, Firefox, and Chrome with same result.

(19 Jul '13, 12:59) yatinla yatinla's gravatar image

The issue is that presently our front-end Nginx server doesn't proxy websocket connections correctly. We're presently working on improving this and hope to have it resolved soon.

(19 Jul '13, 13:13) seanf ♦♦ seanf's gravatar image

any news on this? Would be great to run iphython notebook

(10 Oct '13, 14:32) ampelmann ampelmann's gravatar image

Hi,

I'm trying to implement a notebook server, and found the following in the official documentation.

When behind a proxy, especially if your system or browser is set to autodetect the proxy, the notebook web application might fail to connect to the server’s websockets, and present you with a warning at startup. In this case, you need to configure your system not to use the proxy for the server’s address.

For example, in Firefox, go to the Preferences panel, Advanced section, Network tab, click ‘Settings...’, and add the address of the notebook server to the ‘No proxy for’ field.

Documentation seems pretty complete too.

Hope this can help you in the mean time. Seems @yatinla could use this, at least.

A.

link

answered 22 Oct '13, 13:43

misterte's gravatar image

misterte

Did you manage to get ipython notebook server to run on webfaction?

(13 Apr, 08:49) ampelmann ampelmann's gravatar image
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×10
×2
×1
×1

Asked: 05 Jun '12, 07:28

Seen: 1,497 times

Last updated: 13 Apr, 08:49

Plans & prices    Sign up    Why WebFaction?    Contact us    Affiliate program    Support    Legal    Jobs    Blog    Control panel login