WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I just changed an email address from an alias (forwarded) to a full email box. I deleted the alias first and was able to set up the new mailbox just fine.

I've logged into webmail and sent mail from the box which went through.

But when I send emails to the email address, I get a Delivery Status Failure notification from Google: Technical details of permanent failure: Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 5.1.1 myemailaddress@mydomain.co: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table (state 13).

Does it take time to replicate across the nameservers or something? How long should this take?

Help much appreciated.

asked 07 Jun '12, 21:29

katerutter
accept rate: 0%

Yes, it takes time for the changes to take effect. If you're just changing an email address within our system from one address to another, then there isn't any DNS information to update and there is no replication across nameservers - but it will still take about 10-15 minutes to take effect within the system itself.

If the DNS information needs to change, then it will take up to 20 minutes for the DNS information to update on the nameservers themselves, followed by whatever propagation time is necessary (24-48 hours) for the new DNS information to be available and up-to-date globally.

If the above times have been exceeded and you're still seeing this problem, then please open a support ticket. Occasionally we need to regenerate the DNS or email configuration manually, and we can do so if needed.

permanent link

answered 07 Jun '12, 21:41

ryans ♦♦
5.0k83159
accept rate: 43%

Perfect. Thanks so much. I'll keep an eye on it and escalate if 24/48 hrs doesn't resolve it.

(07 Jun '12, 21:47) katerutter

I'm submitting a ticket for this now. It's been 12 hrs and no change. I should be seeing some erratic delivery behavior by now at least.

Thanks, -Kate

(08 Jun '12, 13:22) katerutter
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×259
×38
×9
×1

question asked: 07 Jun '12, 21:29

question was seen: 6,370 times

last updated: 08 Jun '12, 13:22

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM