WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I am trying to migrate a Wordpress site to Webfactions using the Duplicator plugin, which is by far my favorite method to migrate. However, on other hosts, where I am able to enter my IP address and then a sub-directory in the navigation bar, on Webfactions I am unable to access it.

Duplicator requires a user to browse to an install.php file, which then is used to assign a (new) database and then write the entire installation to it, and unpacks the wordpress files into the directory. Since this is all done in the browser, there's currently no method for me to use Duplicator before pointing the existing domain at the Webfactions name servers. This would prevent a seamless transition.

I'm attempting basically to have the ability to browse to 100.100.99.99/mysite/install.php.

asked 12 Jun '12, 16:57

jonmitten
accept rate: 0%

You won't be able to browse to your server by IP address. Our setup does not allow for that. To access files on our servers, you must do so via a domain or subdomain that is part of a website set up in the control panel.

In the control panel, create an application of the type "Static/CGI/PHP" and assign it to a website record. If your domain isn't pointing at our server yet, you can use your webfactional subdomain and change the internal WordPress URLs later. If you name this app "foo", then you will have a directory named /home/<username>/webapps/foo. That is where you will place your Duplicator files, and then you will be able to access them via the website you just set up, at whateverdomain.com/install.php.

I hope this helps!

permanent link

answered 12 Jun '12, 17:14

maryh ♦♦
1.3k7
accept rate: 35%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×242
×32

question asked: 12 Jun '12, 16:57

question was seen: 3,303 times

last updated: 12 Jun '12, 17:14

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM