WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have seen the info here:

http://docs.webfaction.com/software/static.html

It's too complicated, is there a simple way install / upload simple site manually. Or can I see actual examples of how to do it.

I tried installing a custom app but I do not understand what it means by Fetch Scripts

p.s. I am wondering if I will need to create a .htaccess file. It might be easier to use another host (that uses CPanel) I have for this particular thing?

Thanks

asked 19 Jun '12, 14:12

joshcloud9
accept rate: 0%

edited 19 Jun '12, 14:16

Instructions for creating a simple HTML website are available in our documentation here: Creating a Simple Website

Regarding .htaccess files, they aren't required for basic sites, but if you need one for some reason, it's simple to create one and upload it via FTP like any other file.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 19 Jun '12, 15:36

seanf
12.2k42136
accept rate: 37%

Hi Sean,

Thanks but I could not figure it out because: "I do not understand what it means by Fetch Scripts"

I tried using the App type static and that didn't work either.

If there is a simple way to accomplish this I'd love to know it?

Meanwhile I'll stick to simpler hosts for these simple site. Ironic that Webfaction makes complex stuff easy and the "simple" stuff hard!!!!

Thanks

permanent link

answered 20 Jun '12, 13:15

joshcloud9

The documentation to which I linked in my answer is the simple way. It doesn't involve using a "custom install script" app, so you don't need to worry about the "fetch scripts" option.

If you used a static app and followed our instructions, then you shouldn't have any problems. If you are having problems, then please open a support ticket to let us know the specifics, and we'll be happy to help you resolve it. You can open a ticket via the Support menu item in the sidebar of our control panel.

(20 Jun '12, 13:19) seanf

I am literally in the same boat. I even sent in 2 support tickets and still no response or help of any sort. Ah guess what? No phone contact to reach the technical team to guide me through. I have read through the documentation over and over. Maybe i'm just too dumb but Cpanel always worked fine for me. But it seems i should be one of those adept Linux users to get through with Webfaction.

My script installation instructions? pretty easy

http://dev1products.dev.agriya.com/doku.php?id=sfplatform-install

Luckily I paid for a month's subscription just to test the waters but it looks like Webfaction's customer service is already showing me the door out

permanent link

answered 21 Jun '12, 10:09

gbama

I've just checked our ticketing system and can find no support tickets submitted from your account. I guarantee that if you submit a ticket (via the Support menu item in the control panel, we'll answer you ASAP (usually in <1 hour) to help you with your issue.

(21 Jun '12, 10:17) seanf

I sent 2 tickets early last night and early this morning and even set priority to urgent. I'll try once again. Thanks for checking

(21 Jun '12, 10:51) gbama

We received your ticket, and your SFPlatform site is now up and running. Hope that helps!

(21 Jun '12, 12:39) seanf

I don't know how to express my gratitude. omg!! Thank you so much. You guys are awesome

(21 Jun '12, 12:47) gbama

I moved that site to an inferior host, as I didn't have time to mess with it beyond trying "static" as above. I'll try it again as Webfaction are definitely my preferred host of the two shared accounts that I have now :)

permanent link

answered 21 Jun '12, 14:44

joshcloud9

I'm racking my brains to install on my server this script sfplatform. I am now starting to mess with php and I still have much to learn ... Could someone help me install this script, I believe the problem is in the installation settings. Htaccess

permanent link

answered 11 Jul '14, 17:05

restartcom

@restartcom - what sort of error are you seeing?

(11 Jul '14, 17:20) seanf
(11 Jul '14, 17:42) restartcom

already tried tinkering on. domino .Htaccess but not yet. So back to the original .Htaccess where I do the settings

(11 Jul '14, 17:45) restartcom

you can pass the data from the server so that you can take a look, shall we?

(11 Jul '14, 17:47) restartcom

0 already tried tinkering on. domino .Htaccess but not yet. So back to the original .Htaccess where I do the settings.

you can pass the data from the server so that you can take a look, shall we?

(11 Jul '14, 17:48) restartcom

It seems that site is not hosted with WebFaction, so I'm not able to troubleshoot it for you. You should probably locate the Apache error log on your server to find out what the actual error is..

(11 Jul '14, 17:49) seanf
showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×58
×9

question asked: 19 Jun '12, 14:12

question was seen: 6,261 times

last updated: 11 Jul '14, 17:58

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM