WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi. I'm pretty much new to using web hosting, and in fact this is my first post on the WebFaction forums.

I'm really still at the basic stages, and what I'm trying to do is to download files from my webspace. Specifically, I'm trying to copy the 'logs' folder over to my computer, in order to back it up. I'll describe the things I've attempted, and the effects I'm getting.

1) ssh from terminal into my WebFaction account, navigate to the appropriate directory,.. there's the directory I want to grab sitting right there, and now I just..... Ah. What now? Surely there's a simple command by which I can just grab it? Well, I'm not sure what that would be.

2) sftp from terminal into my WebFaction account. Able to copy files, but not directories (I believe there is a limited range of commands, and the '-r' option doesn't work.). The files there are small, so I can't easily gauge the speed.

3) scp from terminal to (recursively) grab the logs folder in my WebFaction account. Took several minutes to grab a 31kB file.

4) Logged into WebFaction account using Gnome/Nautilus, using either 'ssh' 'ftp' or 'sftp' protocol - it automatically switches to 'sftp' in either case. Similarly slow in downloading the logs folder (31kB).

5) Tried this on some webspace I have elsewhere and these problems didn't occur. I downloaded a 2.9MB file in a couple of seconds.

Since I don't know much about this sort of thing I could be making some sort of elementary error, but the fact that I'm not having these problems on my other webspace is a bit puzzling.

asked 06 Dec '10, 15:32

neuromorphic
accept rate: 0%

We're not seeing any problems on your shared server - load is very low, and file transfers are very fast in my own tests from outside of the WF network. It's possible that you have some sort of routing problem between your location and your server - you can test that by installing mtr into your Ubuntu OS (if it's not there already) and then run mtr in a console. If there are any network problems causing packet loss, then mtr should give you a clear indication of where that is happening.

permanent link

answered 06 Dec '10, 15:45

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

I am having the same issue with slow transfers using ssh. I do need to use ssh as I am using fabric for deployments. That said, I gave mtr a try and found that there are 2 places where I have 100% packet loss before getting to WF. Somewhere just outside my network, within my ISP, then again somewhere within networklayer.com's network. Not sure what the deal is there, but this has helped to explain why ssh transfers are slow. The problem has nothing to do with WF in my case at least. Thanks for the tip.

(13 Dec '10, 15:46) bmeyer71 ♦♦

Hi,

I have experienced the same problems since I use WF. I have used the WinSCP for the upload and download of files and it takes a lot of time to make a simple backup of my django app. =S

I have to say that I do not think there is a problem in my network. Sometimes I connect from my job (university network) and sometimes from home.

Anyway, it is not a big deal for me... ;) Backups and similar operations can be performed at night! ;)

PS: Thank you and congratulations for the great support of WF!!!

permanent link

answered 13 Dec '10, 03:47

mariocao
accept rate: 0%

Have you tried using rsync? I've found that no matter the server or location rsync is faster, if you are running Mac or Linux rsync may already be installed. For Windows you can use something like: http://www.rsync.net/resources/howto/windows_rsync.html

(13 Dec '10, 03:58) klynton

Thanks! I will give it a try! ;)

(13 Dec '10, 04:10) mariocao
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×103
×62
×31

question asked: 06 Dec '10, 15:32

question was seen: 5,075 times

last updated: 13 Dec '10, 15:46

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM