WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi everyone! I've tried installing FixMyStreet by following the official instructions without any luck.

It's a Perl Web application written in Catalyst and I have zero experience with Perl applications and managing their dependencies. I'm stuck trying to install the Perl modules as explained in this step.

The error I get:

Building and testing ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.62 ... FAIL
! Installing ExtUtils::MakeMaker failed. See /home/rational/.cpanm/build.log for details.
! Bailing out the installation for carton-v0.9.4. Retry with --prompt or --force.
bin/install_perl_modules: line 10: carton: command not found

And the bit in the build log which I hope conveys some information of what went wrong:

Test Summary Report
-------------------
t/Liblist_Kid.t         (Wstat: 512 Tests: 0 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 2
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
t/parse_abstract.t      (Wstat: 512 Tests: 0 Failed: 0)
  Non-zero exit status: 2
  Parse errors: No plan found in TAP output
Files=59, Tests=934, 33 wallclock secs ( 0.35 usr  0.17 sys + 24.    28 cusr  5.33 csys = 30.13 CPU)    
Result: FAIL    
Failed 2/59     test programs. 0/934 subtests failed.    
make: *** [t    est_dynamic] Error 255    
-> FAIL Installing ExtUtils::MakeMaker failed. See /home/rational    /.    cpanm/build.log for details.
-> FAIL Bailing out the installation for carton-v0.9.4. Retry with --prompt or --force.

I hope someone can make any sens of this, I'd really like to get the application running!

asked 25 Jun '12, 14:55

Filip Dupanovic
accept rate: 0%

I've managed to get everything running by reverting the changes made by following the official guide on Installing CPAN Modules--this will cause the local::lib package tests to fail and cpanm will never have it's dependencies resolved.

I then ran the install script to get the required Perl packages. There were a few dependencies I had to install manually. For that I installed cpanm, built those locally and symlinked cpanm directories to the local carton directories created in the project.

permanent link

answered 04 Jul '12, 12:32

Filip Dupanovic
accept rate: 0%

It is looking for a command named 'carton' to do something. You will have to build it from source as the installer is likely trying to install it into default locations which will not work on our platform.

permanent link

answered 25 Jun '12, 19:21

johns
5.4k412
accept rate: 23%

I manually installed cpanminus and followed the Perl guide from the official docs (did this step before). I'm pretty sure that the problem is not being able to install the ExtUtils::MakeMaker module, which is why Carton is never built and the binary isn't there (the last error from the install script). Any ideas on how I can get ExtUtils::MakeMaker installed? Are there some Perl packages that are missing on Webfaction's servers? Thanks!

(26 Jun '12, 02:43) Filip Dupanovic

If you need to install Perl modules on your WebFaction account, you may do so by following the instructions in our documentation: Installing CPAN Modules

permanent link

answered 26 Jun '12, 11:19

seanf
12.2k42136
accept rate: 37%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×20
×3

question asked: 25 Jun '12, 14:55

question was seen: 3,784 times

last updated: 04 Jul '12, 12:32

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2021 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM