WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi, internally to our company we use an email address which is associated to a POP3 account (say pop.provider.com). We would like to use IMAP for mails, but provider.com doesn't support that.

I thought it should be possible to use WebFaction to fetch mail periodically (e.g., every 5 minutes) from provider.com via POP, and provide IMAP access via WF to our mail client. At this point I'd change the mail client settings to access WebFaction IMAP server for incoming mails instead of provider.com's POP3. For outgoing mails we'll continue to use provider.com's SMTP.

AFAIK WebFaction doesn't offer a such fetching service out-of-the-box, instead it's required a program/script doing that.

Do anyone of you have an idea about how that script could look like and work? Or maybe something ready to use already exist?

Thanks.

asked 26 Jun '12, 01:27

Guandalino
accept rate: 0%

I think you'll need a tool like pop2imap, which is specifically designed to download POP mail and upload it to an IMAP server.

It appears to require a number of perl dependencies which we do not have installed, so you'll need to follow our Perl documentation to install whatever it needs.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 26 Jun '12, 14:05

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

It's FANTASTIC, thanks. Works like a charm. Consider add this resource to the docs.

(27 Jun '12, 05:07) Guandalino

You can search online for 'POP3 to imap' copy scripts. One paid one I found was here. There are also some free ones, fetchmail, getmail.

I have not personally tried any of these, normally when I need to do this it is with 2 IMAP severs in which case I use imapcopy.

permanent link

answered 26 Jun '12, 01:47

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

I installed getmail in my home and did the configuration to retrieve from POP without issues. Though, it's a bit hard to me to configure the [destination] section, ie. where the mails have to be sent once fetched. These are the main choices: Maildir, Mboxrd and MDA_external. Which path should I specify in case of Maildir or Mboxrd? Thank you.

(26 Jun '12, 05:08) Guandalino

OK, now I have the mails offline in ~/Maildir/new but I have no idea about how to read them from WF IMAP server. Any suggestion?

(26 Jun '12, 05:24) Guandalino

I don't think getmail or fetchmail will work for you in this case. Those tools will fetch mail and store it on the machine where it is run, but your IMAP mailboxes are on a separate mail server, and you can't run scripts there. I'm posting a second answer with a different tool that you can use.

(26 Jun '12, 14:02) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×69
×22
×3

question asked: 26 Jun '12, 01:27

question was seen: 3,539 times

last updated: 27 Jun '12, 05:07

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM