WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi there,

Some of my Wordpress installations are marked INSECURE for some reason, even after updating. Is there something else I need to do?

Cheers,

Danny

asked 04 Jul '12, 04:41

comheroes
accept rate: 0%

The control panel only shows the version of WordPress that was installed in your account via the control panel. If you have upgraded WordPress since then, it will not show the current version of your installation.

If you are up to date with WordPress you can ignore the "INSECURE" label in the control panel :)

permanent link

answered 04 Jul '12, 04:48

David L ♦♦
1.4k13
accept rate: 45%

Thanks for clearing that up. It's as I thought. I wanted to "vote" for your post, but my "reputation" is not good enough to vote lol

(05 Jul '12, 03:22) comheroes

So, if the panel warning 'insecure' can be ignored, then it's actually a USELESS feature. If the system doesn't actually poll the app for the current version, then remove the feature from the panel. It's worse than having no warning at all. What this says is that it's up to the website owner to know the security status of their apps. Well, then why is the panel getting in the way and actually giving FALSE information?!

permanent link

answered 08 May '14, 12:00

freephile
accept rate: 0%

The panel isn't reporting false information. It's reporting the version of the app that was originally installed. We maintain separate installers for each version of WordPress, and when security issues are discovered in an older version, we label that one as insecure so that people will be aware of the problem when they go to create a new Wordpress installation.

(08 May '14, 15:04) seanf

Label for CHOOSING an application to install != label for installed application. All common web applications will invariably have security flaws (and patches) and thus be labelled INSECURE in the panel. As a customer navigates through their panel, they'll see AWStats INSECURE, Drupal INSECURE, WordPress INSECURE no matter how often the customer updates AWStats, drush ups drupal etc. in their account. Rhetorical question: Why even offer an INSECURE app as an install choice?

(08 May '14, 15:22) freephile
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×244
×69

question asked: 04 Jul '12, 04:41

question was seen: 4,239 times

last updated: 08 May '14, 15:22

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM