WebFaction
Community site: login faq

mcrea2.webfactional.com

Running very slow, some images don't load and video is killer with loading times. Please advise.

asked 05 Jul '12, 16:41

mcg
accept rate: 0%

Your rails application is trying to serve all of its static media by itself. This isn't what Rails is designed for; it's better at generating the HTML and providing the engine which runs your dynamic website. Static media (images, video, javascript, CSS, etc) should be served using our front-end Nginx server using a Static-only application.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 05 Jul '12, 20:26

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93360
accept rate: 43%

Thanks for the reply. I will have to talk to the web developer about this. Is this something that is specific to WebFaction? If I remember correctly, when the site was hosted elsewhere it did not replicate similar issues.

Also, on a less related note, is there a way to check FTP session logs?

(06 Jul '12, 12:59) mcg

It has nothing to do with Webfaction particular, but just how different kinds of server stacks deal with different requests. We would need many technical details about how you hosted the site on the previous host to make any assumptions, and even than they would be just that, assumptions. We can look at FTP session logs if you submit a request for it with a support ticket.

(06 Jul '12, 17:56) johns

Thanks for the reply John. I will talk to the developers about how they implemented the site.

And there is no way for me to view session logs at my leisure?

(09 Jul '12, 14:13) mcg

That's correct - we can't give you direct access to FTP logs, even on a dedicated server, but if you open a support ticket, we'll be happy to copy them to your home directory.

(09 Jul '12, 14:20) seanf

Hm, ok. Thats unfortunate. Old webhost had that feature among quite a few others I found very helpful. Was using cPanel.

(09 Jul '12, 16:37) mcg

Feel free to open a ticket to let us know the specific cPanel features you miss, and we'll look into the possibility of implementing them here :)

(09 Jul '12, 17:09) seanf
showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×81
×6
×4

question asked: 05 Jul '12, 16:41

question was seen: 2,735 times

last updated: 09 Jul '12, 17:09

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM