WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have a django app that is being served at:

user.webfactional.com

As per the webfaction static files guide I am trying to serve the static content from:

user.webfactional.com/static

I have added the static-only app. When I attempt to follow step #2 of the static files guide linked above:

With the control panel, modify or create a website entry which maps an unused path from your domain name (e.g. www.mydomain.com/media) to your new Static-only application

I get the following error:

user.webfactional.com is already used in another site record with the same IP address so you can't re-use it here. If you want to change what gets served for this subdomain you need to edit the existing site record

I understand the error, but according to the static files guide, it should be possible to map the user.webfactional.com/static/ URL to the static-only app instead of django.

What is wrong here?

asked 08 Dec '10, 17:28

awesomo
accept rate: 0%

edited 08 Dec '10, 17:38

What you will need to do is edit the website record that is currently serving your Django application. If you look at the bottom, you will Site Apps with Django at URL Path of /. Add a new site app. Select your new static application and set it to the url path of /static.

If you prefer to have your content at static.user.webfactional.com you could create a new subdomain called static for your user.webfactional.com address. You would then create a new site record, select your new static.username.webfactional.com address, and select your static only application at the url path of /.

permanent link

answered 08 Dec '10, 17:37

aaronh ♦♦
1.3k3
accept rate: 34%

Thanks for the prompt and helpful response! I was mistakenly trying to add a new site under >Home>Sites on the control panel rather than editing the existing site record.

(08 Dec '10, 17:45) awesomo

I am a new user so I cannot up vote yet, but this is really clear. thank you!

(31 Dec '12, 21:51) kira
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×909
×125

question asked: 08 Dec '10, 17:28

question was seen: 14,089 times

last updated: 31 Dec '12, 21:51

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM