WebFaction
Community site: login faq

When you go to my site austinhum.webfactional.com it goes to the admin console with the message of "You don't have permission to edit anything." I should mention that my base template is the base template of the admin console because I needed to incorporate the admin tools within the page. However, my url for the root page is a direct_to_template call

url(r'^$', direct_to_template,{'template':'index.html'}),

I have other pages that are using direct_to_template without any problems. On my local machine the homepage shows up without a problem. Is this some sort of apache setting I'm not aware of? Thanks in advance

asked 08 Jul '12, 11:54

Austin Huminski
accept rate: 0%

You can test this to see if Apache/mod_wsgi is interfering by temporarily shutting down your Apache instance and then using the "python2.7 manage.py runserver 12345" command, where "12345" corresponds to the port assigned to your Django application in the Control Panel.

When requests come in for your website, our front-end server proxies requests to the port assigned to your application. This way, you are essentially running the Django development server instead of the entire mod_wsgi stack, allowing you to conveniently determine if the issue is related. Hope that helps!

(08 Jul '12, 20:55) ryans ♦♦

Thanks for the tip ryans. I tried it out and still had the same problem. I appreciate your suggestion

(08 Jul '12, 21:33) Austin Huminski

When you run the application on your local machine in the same way (with "manage.py runserver"), do you not see this same error?

If you don't, please check to ensure that the files are the same, permissions are the same, and that the python and django versions match exactly. By narrowing down the differences between the two, I believe you should be able to determine the origin of the problem.

(08 Jul '12, 22:25) ryans ♦♦

the only difference I see is in wsgi.py. I'll keep looking for differences though. Thanks for the idea.

I had to add these lines on webfaction server to get rid of 500 internal error.

import sys sys.path.insert(0, '/home/austinhum/webapps/bbbsliny/bbbsliny')

(08 Jul '12, 22:42) Austin Huminski

I downloaded my entire project from the webfaction server to my local computer and I don't get the same index page. Locally it works. This leads me to believe it is a apache/webfaction server issue if that helps narrowing down the problem

(09 Jul '12, 01:14) Austin Huminski

If you're having problems configuring your site to work on our servers, please open a support ticket. Our team will look at it for you.

(09 Jul '12, 03:31) todork
showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments
Be the first one to answer this question!
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×910
×30

question asked: 08 Jul '12, 11:54

question was seen: 2,455 times

last updated: 09 Jul '12, 03:31

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM