WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'd like to configure an email address to forward to incoming mail to my Gmail account (without saving), but I can't get it to send email correctly via SMTP (no error, but no received email). Is there a restriction that the from email address for outgoing mail must be attached to a mailbox?

If so, is there anyway around it, without using POP (much less reactive, in my experience)? For example, have a program that empties the mailbox periodically?

Thanks!

asked 09 Jul '12, 02:58

drpepper
accept rate: 0%

edited 09 Jul '12, 03:03

There's no restriction like what you've described.

If you're sending email to your forwarding address, using the target Gmail address as the sender, then you'll never see the message in you Gmail inbox - this is a "feature" of Gmail, described here: An incoming message hasn't arrived

If you're not using your target Gmail address as the sender, then feel free to open a support ticket to give us the details, and we'll go through the mail logs to determine where the problem lies.

permanent link

answered 09 Jul '12, 09:59

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Indeed, apparently the test email did arrive, but only much later (10-15 minutes after sending it). I'll try again, perhaps it was a network hiccup.

(09 Jul '12, 13:43) drpepper
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×41
×19

question asked: 09 Jul '12, 02:58

question was seen: 2,068 times

last updated: 09 Jul '12, 13:43

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM