WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi

Situation: A bit complicated. Multiple Domains on the one account requiring SSL Security Certificates. Want to find the best approach (bang per buck).

1. www.company.com
  2. www.product1.com
  3. www.product2.com etc all using Django so there is media.company.com, media.product1.com, media.product2.com.

The Product sites are shortly going to start using FoxyCart. This for those who don't know is hosted on Foxycart servers so not like say ZenCart which would be hosted on the webfaction account.

I need to use SSL - Security Certificate(s) essentially for parts of all the sites (more to come perhaps).

I reckon that with the example above I'd need 3 Wildcard Certificates (1 for each site as there is a www and a media). But this seems inefficient compared to a Multi-Domain Certificate. These seem to allow 4 or 5 domains where www.product1.com and media.product1.com would be 2. Once the 4/5 are used you pay to add more Names. e.g.
http://www.digicert.com/unified-communications-ssl-tls.htm
$328 for 4 then $39 for each domain added. And DigiCert effort is also Multi-Server so I could secure foxycart.product1.com with the same Certificate (another $39 though). I think. Currently asking much the same on FoxyCart Forum.

OR Cheaper Solution I looked around for cheap'n'cheerful solutions e.g.
https://www.rapidsslonline.com/index.aspx
Simple Certificate is $18 for 1 year. So, 3 main domains, 3 medias, 2 foxycarts for the 2 productX.com site. So, 8 Simple cheap certificates at $18 = $144 Or, $328 UCC plus 4*$39 = $484

Big difference in price.

Finally a Question.

I'm assumming a DigiCert effort (or verisign/geotrust etc) would be 'better' in some way but suspect it could simply be posher branding. EV would be nice but FoxyCart doesn't support it so probably not useful. Is there an advantage other than maybe slightly less configuration with the UCC? One issue would be IP Addresses. For 8 Simple Certs I'm sure I'd need 8 IP addresses at 5$. Still way cheaper than UCC or other Multi-Domain approaches. I assume for the Multi-Domain UCC there would be only 1 IP Address required?

Anyone any experience of this?

Stuart

asked 09 Dec '10, 08:32

Parthian
accept rate: 0%

edited 09 Dec '10, 08:37

A dedicated IP address is $5/month, $60/year.

You can have only one certificate per dedicated IP address.

The multi-domain certificate would only require 1 dedicated IP address.

One year with the multi-domain certificate is $328 + (4 x $39) + $60 = $544

One year with 8 separate simple certificates is ($18 x 8) + ($60 x 8) = $624

So, unless I'm missing something, I think you'd come out ahead with the multi-domain certificate.

permanent link

answered 09 Dec '10, 10:36

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Thanks Sean, missing bit was I'd used IP=$5 per annum. Picked that up wrong somewhere.

Now it looks more sensible for a more sophisticated Multi-Doman solution. And I take it the rest of my reasoning is sound.

Just need some feedback from Foxycart now. Given my scenario above is this a common(ish) approach - I'm not way out on a limb here?

(09 Dec '10, 11:22) Parthian

I don't think you're out on a limb. If you need encryption for multiple subdomains, and if it makes economic sense to use a multi-domain certificate, then that's probably the best course of action.

(09 Dec '10, 12:06) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×909
×93
×69
×27

question asked: 09 Dec '10, 08:32

question was seen: 8,257 times

last updated: 09 Dec '10, 12:06

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM