WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'd like to know how to test email servers for correct configuration prior to porting my domain over.

I have recently purchased a hosting plan from webfaction, and am preparing to move over from another host. My primary concern is a list of email aliases that I have copied over. I would like to test to make sure that when I switch the DNS registrar to point to webfaction's DNS servers, all my email aliases will continue to function as they are now.

I have set up all the aliases in the webfaction control panel. To test them, I configured Thunderbird to use Webfaction's mail and smtp servers, and sent a test message to an alias that only exists on webfaction, not my current host. However, the message was never delivered. I ran another test, and it is apparent that my current hosts' alias list is still being used, even though my email client is pointed to webfaction's mail servers directly.

I thought that would force the smtp server to use webfaction's mx record and deliver to mail.webfaction.com, but it's apparently delivering to my current host's mail server.

Is there a way to test against webfactions mail servers? I do not want a configuration error on my part to cause these email aliases to be down even for an hour when I switch over.

asked 10 Jul '12, 16:22

ibid49
accept rate: 0%

Our SMTP uses DNS like everything else, so if your MX records are pointing to your old host, then that's where your mail will go.

If you just want to test that our MX will accept your mail once cut your DNS over, then you can impersonate a SMTP server in a telnet session, speaking directly to our MX, like this:

telnet mail9.webfaction.com 25
Trying 67.228.154.2...
Connected to mail9.webfaction.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mx9.webfaction.com ESMTP Postfix
helo .
250 mx9.webfaction.com
mail from: you@sender.com
250 2.1.0 Ok
rcpt to: you@domain.com
250 2.1.5 Ok
data
354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
Subject: Testing
Hi. This is a test.
250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as BF5E651287F5
quit
221 2.0.0 Bye
Connection closed by foreign host.

Just change "you@sender.com" to your sender address, and "you@domain.com" to the recipient address that you want to test. The numeric responses are from the server, most everything else is what you type - it should be apparent when you actually do it. Once that's all done, you'll be able to see the message in your IMAP inbox.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 10 Jul '12, 21:18

seanf
12.2k31836
accept rate: 37%

It didn't, but that's because I'm a Time Warner customer, so spamhaus is blocking my IP because it's in the PBL - not because of anything on webfaction's end. Regardless, I queried the NS servers to make sure the MX records were pointed correctly, which I guess is going to have to be good enough. Thanks for the tip, though.

(11 Jul '12, 19:12) ibid49
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×259
×9
×6

question asked: 10 Jul '12, 16:22

question was seen: 2,550 times

last updated: 11 Jul '12, 19:12

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM