WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have a web site that I am getting some unusual behavior and I am looking for ideas on what the issue(s) might be. Issue 1 - on the homepage I get a Template Syntax error, but only occasionally, with the resulting error page indicating "Caught IndexError while rendering: list index out of range". I have tried modifying the view with try except statements but it does not appear to make any difference. Ideas?

The other issue has something to do with setting debug to True or False. On this site, if I set debug=True, the entire site works normally (except for the occasional error above). Both publicly and the admin.

But if I set debug=False, the way it should be, the public side displays normally but the admin is quite different. I can login and select/edit the core application areas - Users, Sites, Filebrowser, etc. But when I select any of the applications I installed, the 404.html page is displayed.

I have checked the logs but there's not much info I know what to do with there and there are no errors when I have debug=True, the site works normally.

Any help or insight would be appreciate.

asked 09 Dec '10, 09:15

gbernard
accept rate: 0%

I have a web site that I am getting some unusual behavior and I am looking for ideas on what the issue(s) might be. Issue 1 - on the homepage I get a Template Syntax error, but only occasionally, with the resulting error page indicating "Caught IndexError while rendering: list index out of range". I have tried modifying the view with try except statements but it does not appear to make any difference. Ideas?

If a try/except block isn't catching this problem, it might that your template is the one accessing the list directly. This would skip the try/catch completely and just barf up the error.

The other issue has something to do with setting debug to True or False. On this site, if I set debug=True, the entire site works normally (except for the occasional error above). Both publicly and the admin.

But if I set debug=False, the way it should be, the public side displays normally but the admin is quite different. I can login and select/edit the core application areas - Users, Sites, Filebrowser, etc. But when I select any of the applications I installed, the 404.html page is displayed.

I once ran into something like this but I was never able to figure out exactly what happened.

Does this still happen if you run the development server?

permanent link

answered 09 Dec '10, 09:23

David L ♦♦
1.4k13
accept rate: 45%

The site has always seemed to operate correctly locally(development server). I have even totally scrapped everything and rebuilt the server. Updated django version, updated apps in the project, and still get the same issue, but not locally.

permanent link

answered 09 Dec '10, 09:30

gbernard
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×40
×13

question asked: 09 Dec '10, 09:15

question was seen: 3,256 times

last updated: 09 Dec '10, 09:30

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM