WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm very frustrated about Webfaction Support seems very busy people, so I'm asking to community users help.

After trying to create additional FTP/SSH users to my webapps. I created the user, run the commands step by step, and nothing seems change.

I access to my new user directory but I don't see my webapps files.

Will be pay for the help. Thanks in advance.

asked 20 Jul '12, 16:14

Aea
accept rate: 0%

Your extra users don't get their own webapps directories - instead, you give your users access to the app directories under your main user account, as described in our documentation.

We've replied to your ticket several hours ago, so if you need further assistance, feel free to let us know :)

permanent link

answered 20 Jul '12, 16:43

seanf
12.2k31836
accept rate: 37%

Is there any way to give user permission just for the specific app and not parent directory?

Access to MYAPP:

home/[USER]/webapps/MYAPP

but not : home/[USER]/ home/[USER]/webapps/

permanent link

answered 18 May '15, 18:14

ramirors

No it is not. They need execute access to the parent directories in order to get to the application directory below.

(18 May '15, 18:18) bmeyer71 ♦♦
permanent link

answered 07 Sep '15, 07:43

featherbelly

Ok, this seems to be on old topic but strange this still seems to be a problem. https://docs.webfaction.com/user-guide/access.html#access-granting-permissions explains how to give access and redirect user to certain webapps folder but not how to restrict this user to go to the other webapps in the other folders. After creating an extra user and "grand access" the only thing that happened is that user is redirect to the folder for which he is granted access but it is easy to navigate to the other webapps folder. How to solve this? Kind regards, Meindert

permanent link
This answer is marked "community wiki".

answered 05 Oct '16, 14:25

dewebmeester

"Grant permissions" is exactly that - it grants permissions to the specified directory. The procedure is not intended do anything to revoke permissions anywhere else.

Your extra users will still be able to list the contents of webapps (ie they can see the various app names) but they won't be able to access the contents of the other apps unless you grant access to them.

If you're concerned about your extra user being able to list the contents of your webapps directory, we're already testing a change in permissions to prevent that, but there's not a timeframe for rolling that out, if we roll it out at all.

If you have some other concern about it, then please open a support ticket. Thanks!

(05 Oct '16, 17:33) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×102
×60
×36
×9

question asked: 20 Jul '12, 16:14

question was seen: 15,277 times

last updated: 05 Oct '16, 17:33

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM