WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm in a process of transferring one of my web sites to webfaction. Everything went well up until now. I've moved all the files but now it's turn for mail, bunch of them. Forwarding those messages to other account and then to mine account on webfaction is out of question. Is there any way of transferring those mail directly to mine account on webfaction?

asked 09 Dec '10, 16:11

zlatiborac
accept rate: 0%

If your old mail account is IMAP, then you have a few options:

• You can use imapsync or offlineimap to synchronize your old mailbox with your new WebFaction mailbox.
  • You can set up your new WebFaction mailbox as an IMAP account in an email client like Thunderbird, and then drag messages from your old IMAP account into your WebFaction IMAP account.
  • If you can get your old mail host to give you an archive of your old mail directory, you can upload that to your home directory on your WebFaction web server, and then open a support ticket to ask us if it would be possible to load it into your WebFaction mailbox. It's usually possible, but I can't guarantee it.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 09 Dec '10, 17:34

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

edited 09 Dec '10, 17:36

Thanks Sean, as always you are very helpful. But this was a bit urgent so I did this like you explained in the second solution (most boring one but...)

(10 Dec '10, 03:47) zlatiborac

Hi, I have the same issue, I need to migrate a customer's hosting to webfaction's hosting. The last thing that I need to resolve to complete the process, is to copy all mails from the previous host to webfaction.

I think I will use offlineimap, because there are around 20 mailboxes that I need to migrate. I don't have previous experience using this tool, so I have some questions:

Could I use offlineimap with single-user install? Or need System-wide install to access the local mailboxes (so i will need to open a support ticket)?

How is the right way to configure offlineimap local repository? Where are located the localfolders?

[Repository Local]
type = Maildir
localfolders = ~/Test

Someone have any previous experience to share? Thanks!

Mario.

permanent link

answered 04 Apr '14, 14:48

8ksoft
accept rate: 0%

Could I use offlineimap with single-user install? Or need System-wide install to access the local mailboxes (so i will need to open a support ticket)?

Yes, you can use it as a single-user install. There are no "local mailboxes" on your web server.

How is the right way to configure offlineimap local repository? Where are located the localfolders?

You don't need a local repository if you're transferring mail directly from the old host to us. Instead, you'll configure offlineimap to sync IMAP-to-IMAP instead of IMAP-to-local.

(05 Apr '14, 00:18) seanf

Thank you Sean. I will try IMAP-to-IMAP configuration. So... with this approach I'll need something like this

[Repository Local]
type = IMAP
remotehost = mail.webfaction.com
remoteuser = foouser

I'm right?

(07 Apr '14, 11:19) 8ksoft

You'll also need the password on the WebFaction side.

Here's an example of a working IMAP-to-IMAP configuration:

[general]
accounts = Me

[Account Me]
localrepository = WebFaction
remoterepository = OldHost

[Repository WebFaction]
type = IMAP
remotehost = mail.webfaction.com
remoteuser = wf_mailbox
remotepass = wfpassword123
sslcacertfile = /etc/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt

[Repository OldHost]
type = IMAP
remotehost = mail.oldhost.com
remoteuser = old_mail_login
remotepass = oldmailpassword123
sslcacertfile = /etc/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt

Hope that helps!

(08 Apr '14, 18:42) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×261
×14

question asked: 09 Dec '10, 16:11

question was seen: 5,451 times

last updated: 20 Apr '16, 23:18

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM