WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi,

I'm wondering how Webfaction is set up from the inside. I've got to write a thesis for the end of my studies.

I found that website ( http://lethain.com/overview-of-single-vs-multi-server-architecture/ ) showing several different schemas of possible architecture. Webfaction probably uses one of them. If that's the case, just telling me which one it is will greatly help me. If the architecture is not amongst them, then a small paragraph (or better: a quick ugly png like the ones on that website that corresponds to the one that Webfaction runs on).

Best regards,

Sam

asked 26 Jul '12, 18:14

sgiffard
accept rate: 0%

Here you go:

webfaction web server setup

More info here. Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 26 Jul '12, 18:30

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Thank you!

However, I'm not sure I read this schema properly.

If I've got only a django app, a django-socketio custom app (which runs on gevent (greenlet/libevent)), a static and a media app, the "System Apache" in my case would be non-existent? The "User Zope" is obviously not there, same for the "User Paster daemon". Then... my custom app would run either on "User Nginx" (because of the event based architecture), or on the "User Apache" (because of Django, and in a way, it's a Django app as well), or on "System Apache" (because a custom app might just be a CGI script).

So, between these three possibilities, 2 are probably totally stupid and one is the right one. Any idea?

And the rest of my deductions were correct?

Regards, Sam

(26 Jul '12, 20:19) sgiffard

Hi,

When you run a Django app, you have a private Apache instance running under your own user, so the frontend Nginx server would forward requests to your own Apache server that would process the HTTP requests. The requests to the apps mapped to the static/media apps would be processed directly through Nginx.

I hope this explains how the system works. If you have any additional questions, please let us know.

(27 Jul '12, 10:07) todork

Just ignore the items in the center column that don't apply to your stack.

(27 Jul '12, 11:15) seanf

Hi,

Thank you for this answer. Basically, you clarified Django, media and static (which I already got right, so it's good to know for sure I was correct ^^ that's nice :) ). However, my custom app that listen on a different port... where does it go on that schema?

Regards,

Samuel

permanent link

answered 27 Jul '12, 13:30

sgiffard
accept rate: 0%

If your custom app that listen on a different port is serving a website, then it would be another box in the center column (ie, a back-end web server).

(27 Jul '12, 13:43) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×225
×186
×1

question asked: 26 Jul '12, 18:14

question was seen: 4,638 times

last updated: 27 Jul '12, 13:43

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM