WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Does it make sense to create only one static files application for different websites?

For example, in the static files directory, I would have a subdirectory for different websites.

If this were to be done, how would I link the subdirectories of the static files application to the static urls of the websites?

asked 29 Jul '12, 15:21

Heuristix
accept rate: 0%

Not really, you could do it, but after adding more sites it makes management harder. It is really up to you however. You would have to edit the application code which defines media URLs to do a custom solution like this.

permanent link

answered 29 Jul '12, 17:08

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

edited 29 Jul '12, 17:09

It seems messier to make new static applications for every accompanying application.

i.e. my webapps directory will have two folders for every app (<app_name> and static-<app_name>).

If this is the best way to do it , I will do it that way.

(29 Jul '12, 18:04) Heuristix

Issues arise when you need to move applications around in the future. Say you want to break up your media and put it on a CDN, but only for 1 site, or you want to use multiple servers on our platform in various configurations, having them separated can make future management of each individual app easier. But, it is completely up to your code/deployment/maintenance style. It has no real technical difference.

(29 Jul '12, 20:37) johns
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×909
×125

question asked: 29 Jul '12, 15:21

question was seen: 2,068 times

last updated: 29 Jul '12, 20:37

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM