WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi I Submitted a question yesterday and got a very fine answer. Thanks! However, I'm still wondering how to create Drupal 7 multi sites using webfactional. I've tried following this how-to: http://community.webfaction.com/questions/6264/how-do-i-use-drupals-multisite-feature-on-my-webfaction-account But the tutorial doesn't cover whether it's possible to get all the settings, views, blocks, etc from the original site into the additional site. I've made quite a few views and block on my original site that i want to use on my additional site. Any ideas how to avoid set up everything again and again? Thx once more!

asked 01 Aug '12, 04:23

GM_CP
accept rate: 0%

Hi,

I'm going to quote my answer from your other community post:

In general the Drupal blocks and views are kept in the MySQL databases. It is theoretically possible to share those by sharing the MySQL tables, however I wouldn't recommend trying this unless you are very well acquainted with Drupal development.

Practically, it might be easier for you to just create new Drupal apps, and avoid using multisite.

permanent link

answered 01 Aug '12, 07:44

todork
1.2k5
accept rate: 34%

I know this is a old post but this may help someone looking for an answer.

A drupal multi-site is really for sharing only the codebase, not things like blocks and Views. However you can set up a multi-site, each with its own database and I can't see any reason why you can't dump the database from the parent site and restore it into the database for the child site. You then have two sites with the same configuration but sharing one codebase. You can then reconfigure everything on the child site without affecting the parent site but updates will be simpler because there is only one set code. If you use drush, updating becomes really easy. Drush is relatively easy to set up on webfaction - like most things!

permanent link

answered 31 Jan '13, 17:54

Gerontas
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×113
×63
×13
×1

question asked: 01 Aug '12, 04:23

question was seen: 2,292 times

last updated: 31 Jan '13, 17:54

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM